Straight from the presses to you, Travel 2 Detroit is joyful to present the latest Detroit News of the day for your reading convenience. We scour the internets for the latest breaking Detroit news so that you don’t have to. Remember we update our stories every 12 hours so check back inside regularly to get updated with the utmost recent news headlines from Detroit .
- Detroit a day late, more than a few dollars short
Detroit Mayor Dave Bing’s staff first tweeted then trumpeted a major development on Thursday in the effort to wring union concessions from the city’s hourly employees …
- Wayne County Commissioners want inspectors back on the job
There’s a new concern that budget cuts could put consumers’ health in Wayne County at risk …
- Detroit grocery stores fight back
The owners of Detroit’s independent grocery stores are working to reassure shoppers there are dozens of places to get safe healthy food in the city …
- Detroit mayor announces tentative deal with non-uniform coalition of unions
Detroit Mayor Dave Bing says a new contract agreement has been made between the city and non-uniform coalition of unions …
- Detroit Manufacturing Sector Growth To Slow This Year, Economist Forecasts
Comerica Bank's chief economist forecast Wednesday that the growth in manufacturing jobs in the Detroit area "will level out in the year ahead." "Manufacturing is a …
- Man who locked employees in fast-food freezer is arrested
A stick-up man in Shelby Township locked the night-shift employees of a McDonald's restaurant inside a walk-in freezer for three hours early today, but was arrested, police said, after workers …
- State to announce which Detroit schools to be closed, transferred on Feb. 9
State officials on Wednesday announced timelines for naming the Detroit Public Schools that will be closed or transferred to the new statewide school system for low-performing schools by the fall. …
- Chrysler's big Super Bowl ad to feature Clint Eastwood, report says
Actor Clint Eastwood is shown in a scene from, "Gran Torino." A Wall Street Journal report says he id expected to appear in a Chrysler ad during the Super Bowl. / Warner Bros. …
- Macomb County prosecutors to fight parole of man convicted of murder
Macomb County prosecutors plan to argue today why a Fraser man should not be paroled from prison on a second-degree murder conviction in a racially-charged fight in 1990 in which a Detroit man was killed.
- Jewish feminist writer E.M. Broner dies at 83
E.M. Broner, a pioneering Jewish feminist writer, and former professor at Wayne State University, has died in New York City. She was 83.
- Missing snake’s owner hopes Hudini stages reappearing act
Talk about living up to your name. Hudini, a 5-foot-long boa constrictor, was last seen June 6, napping in a slightly opened backpack on a 90-degree day at Addison Oaks County Park. Her owner, Wisconsin transplant Richard Baumgardt, fell asleep, and the next morning, Hudini was gone. Baumgardt said she most likely got hungry.
- On anniversary of Michigan’s 1st Amber Alert, mother reflects on daughter it saved
A mother’s nightmare began in 2003, when Carol Ryan discovered that her 14-year-old daughter had vanished from her bedroom in the family’s home in Jones, in southwestern Michigan.
- Fire Claims Life in Pontiac
PONTIAC (My TV 20 News at 10) – Less than 24 hours after the city of Pontiac shuts down its fire department, and a neighboring township takes over, a resident is killed in a fire.
- Regional Transit Board Gets Support
DETROIT, Mi. (My TV 20 News at Ten) — Community groups want better regional mass transit.
- Where is This Former Metro Detroiter?
WINDSOR (My TV20 News at 10) — Jamal Hazime used to call Dearborn home.
- Arrests Made in 12 Year Old’s Shooting Death
Detroit, MI (My TV20 News at 10) — A mother and son are arrested for the fatal shooting of a 6th grader.
- Family Fun At SportsFest in Metro Detroit
February 18, 2012 Hours: 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Price: Free Parking: $5 per car Join 97.1 The Ticket, Detroit’s Sports Station and home of the Detroit Lions, Tigers, Pistons and Red Wings, for the [...]
- WWJ Listener Bonus – Viviano Flower Shop Valentine’s Contest
Celebrate the one you love this Valentine’s Day with flowers from Viviano Flower Shop!
- 97.1 The Ticket- Win UofM vs. MSU College Hockey Tickets!
Register now to win a pair of Michigan vs. Michigan State Hockey Tickets, plus one lucky winner will win a VIP experience. Register for your chance to catch college Hockey in the D on February [...]
- Azure Dynamics Announces 45 Transit Connect Electric Sales
The Oak Park hybrid and electric truck powertrain developer Azure Dynamics Corp. (OTC: AZDDF) said Thursday night announced 45 new Ford Transit Connect Electric sales, including 20 units in Europe and 25 units in North America.
- Survey Finds Football Is America’s Favorite Sport
For two months every year, sports fans have to make a decision – watch football or baseball on Sundays? Based on the numbers of Americans who say it’s their favorite sport, one would have to assume that football wins hands down.
- Are Charges Coming In Bashara Murder Case?
Police have until early. Friday to either charge confessed accomplice Joe Gentz or let him go free.
Tags: Travel 2 Detroit, detroit public schools, Mayor Dave Bing, detroit news, detroit lions, Clint Eastwood